Simple Steps to Feng Shui Your Garden
Feng Shui is all about how the environment affects us and we always seek to have the best environment to affect us in the most positive way.
There is no point living in a beautiful home if what surrounds us is ugly, and what surrounds us closely is most often our garden right!
Think of it like this: if your garden is full of stinky garbage, I don't care how nice your countertops are, every time you open a window you're going to smell that stinky garbage...
When a professional is assessing your home, their first view is to the real landforms around you, which are the mountains, rivers, buildings & roads, as these will cultivate the qi that comes toward you.
Then we look at the area surrounding your actual home, as that traveling Qi from those mountains and rivers is now making its way to your doorstep.
Next we look inside your home to see how that same Qi is entering, circulating & collecting, as that will have a tremendous effect on your wellbeing.
The inside of the home is where many place their attention, but if you have not evaluated the exterior forms first... you've missed the most important part!
Ok, now let's step back outside and look at your garden.
Whether your garden is large, small, fenced in or container-pots on a balcony, you need to focus your attention there first. Your garden is actually easy, even if you don't have a professional consultant yet, there is much you can do by yourself:
- Remove all dead shrubs - especially dead or decaying trees!
- Remove garbage - old appliances, recycling, cars, old tires etc...
- Create meandering pathways with curved flower beds, walkways & flowerpots
- Celebrate with colourful flowers - nature does this naturally and so should you!
- Hang bird feeders around the yard - encourage those songbirds
- Grow plants that encourage naturally healing insects - gotta love those ladybugs!
- Keep any water feature you have incredibly clean... and I do mean clean!
- Seek professional advice on water feature placement - yes it does matter!
- Check with a professional for large structures like Pergolas - there will be an optimum placement
- Encourage good relations with your neighbours - they affect your Qi too
- Get your hands dirty - connect with Mother Earth at her elementary level.. Aaah!
- Be in your garden, spend time there, unwind there - take time to smell the roses...
- Take your shoes off, really feel the earth and ground yourself.... yeah, that's it!
The environment you surround yourself with can either generate you or deplete you... which do you want..?
Whatever style of garden you have, spread the love around outside and you will see how it enhances the love inside.
For water features, be mindful of where you put them as they are specific Qi activators and are best placed by a professional as most often they are for prosperity so their placement is strategic!
My closing thoughts for you - think of your garden like a sunrise and sunset - glorious with oh so much magic happening in between!